Saturday, July 30, 2011

Give Peace a Chance

Listen to the soft echos of your childhood. The gentle laughter and joy as you prepare for Halloween. Your early morning wonder at discovering the Christmas tree - Santa Claus. Summers at the beach, camping with your family. Your hopes and dreams and loves. Your joy. Now know that this is your childhood, and the childhood of children that lived in Soviet Russia.

When I was a child I was taught by teachers, parents and my society to fear Russia.
I was taught to hide under desks in the face of Russia's great dark evil. I was taught to hate Russia and Russians. I was not taught that the children of Russia were exactly as I was -  to include Halloween and yes, even Santa Claus. I was not taught of their humanness. Had I been - had we all been - it would have changed everything.

Today it is Muslims. Why do we hear so precious little of their humanness?

Ignorance, lies, deceit - the tools of hate and fear.
I am ever so amazed as to how little truth it takes to dissolve it all. And to realize we are all one family on a very small, very fragile planet, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment